Thanksgiving Dinner Does not have to Derail Your Weight Loss and Weight
Planning for the Big Day!
Take a moment before the holiday begins to think about how Thanksgiving
will be different for you this year? You are on a Profile plan and so
this year you are different. Since being on a Profile plan you understand
how to make good food choices and to plan for the foods you will eat each
day. You are in control of the food you put into your body– the
food is not controlling you. So this year consider writing down a Thanksgiving
Pre-Meal Plan. The good news is that with just a little planning you will
experience a wonderful Thanksgiving with no regrets.
Simple Tips and Tricks to Help You Create Your Thanksgiving Pre-Meal Plan
- Using your Profile food list as a guide write down in advance.
- If you are hosting, serve a low-carb Thanksgiving meal. Find delicious
Holiday recipes at devprofileplan.ktree.org/recipes.
- If eating at another’s home, be sure to bring a dish that you can
eat. Keep your eyes focused on the foods you wrote down that you can eat.
- Why waste precious calories on sugary drinks, punches, and alcohol.
- It is not about deprivation. It is ok to plan for a splurge if that helps
you to not feel deprived and to stay in control of the rest of your day.
The Day of Thanksgiving
- Begin the day of Thanksgiving as you do all other days by sticking to your
regular eating plan and getting in a work out if possible. Be sure to
get in all your shakes and water and eat on schedule.
- Drink sparkling water with a hint of mint or citrus or add sparkling water
to your fiber drink, put it in a pretty glass and you will feel as festive
as the alcohol drinkers.
- Once you have finished your plate, take stock in how you feel, repeat to
yourself, “I feel good and I am satisfied, I have had enough.”
Do not linger at the table instead invite guests to go for a walk with
you or help with clean up.
- Take a break before eating dessert. This gives the body time to feel full.
- Leftovers! Don’t want them! Don’t need them! Make a plan in
advance to get rid of the leftovers and remove the temptation. Invite
guests to fill the containers they brought with them with the leftover food.
Take in the Spirit of the Day
- Celebrate and give thanks for the extravagant bounty that we all enjoy!
- Relish in the friends and family that made this day so special.
- Congratulate yourself for the control you exhibited in this meal.
- Be aware of how you are feeling now after this meal, not stuffed but pleasant
and satisfied. proud of not having a “Thanksgiving meal hangover”
and that you were in control.
As Necessary As Important
- If you don’t feel like congratulating yourself for a job well done,
tell yourself it’s ok, move your thoughts forward, and get right
back on the plan.
- From now forward get back on your weight loss and weight maintenance journey.
- Be kind to yourself and realize that this is just one meal and one day.
Author: Priscilla Thornton