Number of Servings: around 12 Serving Size: 5 oz. Ingredients: 1 10-12 lb fresh turkey (neck & giblets removed – […]
Number of Servings: around 12
Serving Size: 5 oz.
- 1 10-12 lb fresh turkey (neck & giblets removed – throw away)
- 1 medium white onion, sliced into quarters
- 2 Celery stalks, sliced into 2″ pieces
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T onion powder
- Iodized salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 T poultry seasoning or Mrs. Dash Seasoning for Chicken
Optional: One roaster bag for turkey of 10-12 lbs
Optional:One shallow foil roasting pan
Tips: Let Turkey sit for 20 minutes covered with foil before carving.
- If using a frozen turkey, thaw turkey 24 hours in refrigerator first. Remove neck and giblets from the neck and body cavities, discard the neck and remove
the tail portion of turkey.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees
- Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water and place the bird breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- If using a roasting bag, place a bit of flour in bag, give it a quick shake, add the turkey to the bag and place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Combine seasonings and rub all over turkey inside and outside cavity while in roasting bag or in roasting pan.
- Next, place the onion and celery into cavity of bird.
- If using roasting bag, seal it and cut small air slits into bag.
- Roast turkey according to directions on roasting bag. Or without a bag, roast turkey at 325 degrees for approximately 3 1/2 hours; if turkey browns too
quickly cover with a foil tent.
- Turkey is done when thermometer inserted into breast reads 165 degrees and 180 degrees when inserted in the thigh, not touching bone.
Profile Exchange: 5oz. very lean protein