Choosing a weight loss program is a big decision. We've put together some important things to consider as you choose your weight loss partner. Read more to learn what they are.
If you’ve decided it’s time to get healthy and shed those extra pounds, you are probably looking for a weight loss program to help you reach your goals—and stay there. Choosing a weight loss program is a big decision, and requires a commitment to long-term behavioral changes. With so many options out there, how do you know which one is right for you?
Profile by Sanford has put together some points to consider as you choose your weight loss partner:
- Past weight loss programs you’ve tried. Think about the diets you’ve been on. What did you like about them? What did you dislike? Were there parts of the program that worked for you, but other parts you couldn’t sustain? It’s important to identify what you liked and what kept you motivated so you can look for those traits in your next weight loss program (and avoid what didn’t work!).
- The type of support that’s offered. Some weight loss programs offer support through an online community, others offer group support, and some provide one-on-one coaching. Think about the level of support you need to stay on track and accountable.
- Education and training. Make sure you know the brains behind the operation. Is it backed by science? A healthcare system? A physician? What kind of education/certification/training do they have?
- Budget. Your health and happiness are definitely worth the investment, but it’s also important to look at the value you are getting for the price. Is it reasonable, or does it put a strain on your wallet?
- The meal plan. Take a close look at the meal plan and menu options for each weight loss program. Is it a strict plan or does it provide general guidelines? Do you have to purchase supplements or special food? If so, for how long?
- Flexibility. Life happens, so in order to be successful long term, you need a plan that fits your routine. Is the weight loss program flexible or restrictive? Are certain foods off-limits (particularly your favorite foods)?
- Balance. A healthy weight loss program offers a wide variety of different foods, rich in nutrients, and representative of all of the food groups. Is the program you are considering a healthy balance of nutrition?
- Exercise. Exercise has countless benefits, and should be a part of any weight loss plan. How much exercise is required in the program? Can you make it work in your life, or is it too aggressive?
- Duration, risks and results. Take a look at the program’s outcomes. How long does the program last? Are there any risks associated with the program? What results can you expect to see? Check out the reviews and testimonials of people who have used the program.
- Self-monitoring. Tracking food, exercise, and milestones is one of the best ways to stay motivated and focused on your goals. Does the program offer a way to monitor your progress?
- A holistic approach. A good weight loss program is not just about weight loss. It also gives you tips on managing stress, staying motivated, getting enough sleep, and planning healthy meals. Does the program acknowledge more than just the scale?
- A maintenance program. Once you work hard to lose weight, you will want to keep it off. What kind of maintenance support does the program offer to keep those pounds from inching back up?
Keep in mind that losing weight and getting healthy is not a quick fix. As you are doing your research, watch out for weight loss programs that offer too-good-to-be-true results. Here are some red flags to be aware of:
- Weight loss plans that claim you will lose weight without diet or exercise
- Diet programs that state you can eat as much as you want
- Diets plans that promise you will spot-reduce (flatten your stomach, shrink your waistline, etc.)
- Diets that guarantee dramatic weight loss in a short amount of time, such as 30 pounds in 30 days, 10 pounds in a week, etc.
- Weight loss companies that promise fat loss with pills
We hope you will consider Profile by Sanford as your weight loss partner of choice. Our program is backed by science and helps you lose weight the healthy way—with a combination of delicious meal options and compassionate, one-on-one health coaching.
We offer well-balanced, flexible meal plans, tracking tools to monitor your progress, and ongoing support to help you meet your goals and stay there. We are committed to your health, happiness, and lasting lifestyle changes.
If you’re interested in learning more about Profile by Sanford or are ready to choose us as your weight loss partner, please schedule a free consultation with us!