Let’s be real. Maneuvering through life while staying true to your health goals isn’t the easiest task. A great way to combat this is by rallying up the support of those around you.
Let’s be real. Maneuvering through life while staying true to your health goals isn’t the easiest task. A great way to combat this is by rallying up the support of those around you. In fact, inviting others to be a part of your health journey can help you reach your goals.
So, let’s dive a little deeper into what support looks like. The best way to get the support you want is to ask for it. To do so, you need to know the different types of support. They are:
- Emotional support: Gives you physical comfort, such as a hug or a pat on the back, or it could be someone listening to you and empathizing.
- Informational support: This is sharing advice, offering suggestions or giving you facts.
- Instrumental support: Taking action to help you manage a problem or providing you with tangible help (such as watching the kids or cooking a meal for you).
- Appraisal support: This is giving encouragement and boosting your confidence.
Now that you have a better understanding of the types of support, let’s chat about some specific ways you can rally up the support you truly need.
1. Identify your needs.
Looking at the support types above, think of someone in your life that can help you with each one. Then consider what kind of support you need most in your life right now.
It’s true, no one is a mind reader (as cool as that would be). Make sure you ask for what you need. This may mean asking more than once and that’s okay!
3. Be specific when you ask.
For example, instead of asking for “instrumental support” ask your coworker if he/she would be willing to have calls transferred to them if you took a 15-minute walk a few times each week. Let a friend know you need someone to encourage you to hit the gym. Invite them to join you!
Your Profile Coach is always a part of your support system! If you’re nervous about asking for the support you want, schedule an appointment with your coach to practice asking for social support from the people around you. There are also resources available that dive deeper into this topic, so make sure you ask your coach!
Not a member yet? We’d love to chat with you to learn more about you and how we can help support you on your health journey. Schedule a free, no-obligation coach session today.